Friday, August 25, 2017

The MySQL High Availability Landscape in 2017

DZone Database Zone
The MySQL High Availability Landscape in 2017

In the previous post of this series, we looked at the MySQL high availability (HA) solutions that have been around for a long time. I called these solutions "the elders." Some of these solutions (like replication) are heavily used today and have been improved from release to release of MySQL.

This post focuses on the MySQL high availability solutions that have appeared over the last five years and gained a fair amount of traction in the community. I chose to include this group only two solutions: Galera and RDS Aurora. I'll use the term "Galera" generically — it covers Galera Cluster, MariaDB Cluster, and Percona XtraDB Cluster. I debated for some time whether or not to include Aurora. I don't like the fact that they use closed-source code. Given the tight integration with the AWS environment, what is the commercial risk of opening the source code? That question evades me, but I am not on the business side of technology.

No comments:

Fun With SQL: Functions in Postgres

DZone Database Zone Fun With SQL: Functions in Postgres In our previous  Fun with SQL  post on the  Citus Data  blog, we covered w...