Thursday, August 31, 2017

Q+A: Understanding Optimistic Concurrency in Databases

DZone Database Zone
Q+A: Understanding Optimistic Concurrency in Databases

I have struggled in this area, but have found no consolidated information in a single place. So I've tried to summarize everything here! I've done it in a Q&A format for best understanding.

Getting Started

ACID helps make concepts clear through question and answers. In this example, we will assume that lock-based RDBMS is being used. I will only talk about "read committed" and "read uncommitted" isolation levels because "read committed" is the most preferred isolation level set in the database. I mention threads in the context of Java.

No comments:

Fun With SQL: Functions in Postgres

DZone Database Zone Fun With SQL: Functions in Postgres In our previous  Fun with SQL  post on the  Citus Data  blog, we covered w...