Tuesday, May 08, 2018

When Simple Parameterization... Isn't

DZone Database Zone
When Simple Parameterization... Isn't
When Simple Parameterization... Isn't

I'm desperately working to finish up a new version of my book on Execution Plans. We're close, so close. However, you do hit snags. Here's one. My editor decided to change one of my queries. I used a local variable so that I got one set of behaviors. He used a hard-coded value to get a different set. However, the really interesting thing was that his query, at least according to the execution plan, went to simple parameterization. Or did it?

Simple Parameterization

The core concept of simple parameterization is easy enough to understand. You have a trivial query using a hard-coded value like this:

No comments:

Fun With SQL: Functions in Postgres

DZone Database Zone Fun With SQL: Functions in Postgres In our previous  Fun with SQL  post on the  Citus Data  blog, we covered w...