Sunday, May 06, 2018

Open-Sourcing Code Is a BAD Default Policy

DZone Database Zone
Open-Sourcing Code Is a BAD Default Policy
Open-Sourcing Code Is a BAD Default Policy

I ran into this Medium post that asks: Why is this code open-sourced? Let's flip the question. The premise of the post is interesting, given that the author asks that the default mode for code is that it should be open-source. I find myself in the strange position of being a strong open source adherent that very strongly disagrees on pretty much every point in this article. Please sit tight. This may take a while. This article really annoyed me.

Just to clear the fields, I have been working on open-source software for the past 15 years. The flagship product that we make is open-source and available on GitHub and we practice a very open development process. I was also very active in a number of high-profile open-source projects for many years and had quite a few open-source projects that I had built and released on my own. I feel that I'm quite qualified to talk from experience on this subject.

No comments:

Fun With SQL: Functions in Postgres

DZone Database Zone Fun With SQL: Functions in Postgres In our previous  Fun with SQL  post on the  Citus Data  blog, we covered w...